September 21, 2022

Poem: My Mother Was a Brilliant Cook

As The Writer's Almanac with Garrison Keillor is now "retired" and repeating past almanac entries, Maria Mazziotti Gillan's poem, "My Mother Was a Brilliant Cook," from her collection What Blooms in Winter (NYQ Books, 2016) was again featured today in their newsletter.




My Mother Was a Brilliant Cook

The first time my mother went out
to eat was on her 25th wedding anniversary
at Scordato’s in Paterson, and the second time
was for her 50th anniversary
at the Iron Kettle House in Wyckoff.

My mother said, “I could have cooked
this meal better myself.”
But I knew she was happy,
though she would have never admitted it.

Once my mother came to Paterson
from Italy in steerage,
she was content to stay there.
She was a brilliant cook,
and didn’t need to go to restaurants.
She loved her house, poor as it was,
and never stayed in a motel or took a vacation
or wanted to.

She was content to offer platter after platter
of food to her family gathered
in her basement kitchen, and to watch them
laughing and talking together,
while she stood behind them
and smiled.

by Maria Mazziotti Gillian

You can hear Keillor's reading on the website.




Maria Mazziotti Gillan's newest poetry collection is When the Stars Were Still Visible (2021). Other recent publications are the poetry and photography collection, Paterson Light and Shadowand the poetry collections What Blooms in Winter and The Girls in the Chartreuse Jacketsa pairing of her poems with her paintings. Maria's artist's website is MariaMazziottiGillan.com and her poetry website is MariaGillan.com.

No comments: