January 22, 2013

2013 Inaugural Poet Richard Blanco

Watch Richard Blanco's reading at yesterday's Inauguration on YouTube.

In the days leading up to the big event, the Academy of American Poets staff spoke with Blanco.
Poets.org: The theme of this Inauguration is "Our People, Our Future." How might the poem you will offer help explore or speak to this theme?

Blanco: The theme was something I immediately connected with. In my writing I focus mostly on my immediate family, but because I'm Cuban, that means a lot of people. My family is big. There's plenty to write about...

Read the full interview, Blanco's bio and a new selection of his poetry on Poets.org

The 2013 Inaugural Poet, Richard Blanco, shown here
with Maria Mazziotti Gillan and Patricia Smith at a reading at
the Poetry Center on December 8, 2012.



















No comments: