May 10, 2018

Maria Mazziotti Gillan Gallery Show in Paterson

Book cover featuring Women in Japanese Robes, 2005,
by Maria Mazziotti Gillan, mixed media on paper, 12” x 9”,
part of the PCCC Contemporary Art Collection


Watercolor paintings by Maria Mazziotti Gillan are now on display at the Hamilton Club Gallery at Passaic County Community College and will be there through the end of the year.

The exhibit features paintings from her book The Girls in the Chartreuse Jackets.

The gallery features changing exhibits throughout the year and is located on the second floor of the Hamilton Club at 32 Church St. at Ellison St. in Paterson NJ. (Phone: (973) 684-5444)

Forties Woman

About her paintings, Maria says:

My art comes from an instinctive place. In my watercolors and collages I try to do what I do in poetry—that is to let go, to allow the old wise woman who lives in my belly to take over. Often when I’m writing a poem, after the first few lines it is as though the pen moves across the page almost by itself, operating out of the subconscious mind. I don’t allow my conscious mind to control what is going on in the poem. For me, the same thing happens when I am painting or building a collage. Allowing my imagination to take over, gives me the freedom to paint people or birds or flowers as they exist in my mind rather than in reality. 
Whereas in my poetry, I try to root my work in the details and specificity of ordinary life, in my art I am not attempting to achieve realistic portrayals of people or birds or flowers. Rather I am trying to capture energy and feeling. I am trying to get the essence of the subject down on paper, to convey joy or sadness, exuberance or loss.

Pensive Woman and Roses

To learn more about Maria's poetry and paintings, visit www.mariagillan.com


Maria Mazziotti Gillan's most recent books are the poetry and photography collection, Paterson Light and Shadow  and the poetry collection, What Blooms in Winter.

No comments: