October 27, 2018

Artist Reception and Gallery Show With Maria Mazziotti Gillan

The Passaic County Cultural & Heritage Council and the Hamilton Club Gallery at Passaic County Community College present "In Memory, the Women Are Talking: Paintings and Collage by Maria Mazziotti Gillan. This exhibit will be on display September 4, 2018 through January 15, 2019.

There will be an artist reception on Saturday, November 3 from 11 AM to 1 PM. The reception is free and open to the public. There will also be a poetry reading for the latest issue of the Paterson Literary Review at 1pm in the same building, so consider attending both events that day.

The Hamilton Club building is at 32 Church St. at Ellison St. Paterson NJ. Phone: (973) 684-5444.  Directions & Parking Information

Window with Big Bird, by Maria Mazziotti Gillan, mixed media on paper, 14 x 16 ½”

"My art comes from an instinctive place. In my watercolors and collages I try to do what I do in poetry—that is to let go, to allow the old wise woman who lives in my belly to take over. Often when I’m writing a poem, after the first few lines it is as though the pen moves across the page almost by itself, operating out of the subconscious mind. I don’t allow my conscious mind to control what is going on in the poem. For me, the same thing happens when I am painting or building a collage. Allowing my imagination to take over, gives me the freedom to paint people or birds or flowers as they exist in my mind rather than in reality.

Whereas in my poetry, I try to root my work in the details and specificity of ordinary life, in my art I am not attempting to achieve realistic portrayals of people or birds or flowers. Rather I am trying to capture energy and feeling. I am trying to get the essence of the subject down on paper, to convey joy or sadness, exuberance or loss."
 
- Maria Mazziotti Gillan





Maria Mazziotti Gillan's most recent books are the poetry and photography collection, Paterson Light and Shadow  and the poetry collection, What Blooms in Winter . Her collection of poems along with some of her paintings is The Girls in the Chartreuse Jackets .



To learn more about Maria's poetry and art, visit her official website at MariaGillan.com.


No comments: