January 04, 2019

Poet and Filmmaker Carey on Maria Gillan


Kevin Carey, poet and filmmaker of North of Boston Productions in Salem. MA, was interviewed by the BostonVoyager.com. In his interview, he references his work with Maria Gillan professionally as a filmmaker and personally as a poet.

"I’ve continued filmmaking over the years. The last two projects have been documentaries about poets, “All That Lies Between Us,” about New Jersey poet Maria Mazziotti Gillan and “Unburying Malcolm Miller” about a deceased Salem, MA. poet.


Though I love writing and making films and have managed to get some things done, much of the time has been learning how to deal with rejection. I often show my students my Submittable page which has a lot more rejections than things accepted. But you learn that it’s part of the game. I played a lot of basketball as a young man and coached in a middle school for nineteen years and if sports has taught me anything it’s to hang in when it’s not going well. There’s always a comeback lurking.

I am fortunate to have had a lot of help, too. My friends in Salem, both at Salem State and the Salem Writer’s Group, among them JD Scrimgeour, Colleen Michaels and Jan O’Neil, my other poet and writing pals at home and in New Jersey, especially Maria Mazziotti Gillan, and my wife, Betty and my kids, Kevin and Michaela have all offered me encouragement and wisdom far beyond what I can repay."




Maria Mazziotti Gillan's most recent books are the poetry and photography collection, Paterson Light and Shadow  and the poetry collection, What Blooms in Winter . Her collection of poems along with some of her paintings is The Girls in the Chartreuse Jackets . Maria's official website is MariaGillan.com.

No comments: