March 20, 2021

Maria Gillan's Influence Continues


In this author interview in Accenti Magazine, Maria Giura discusses the influence that Maria Gillan had on her writing.

Excerpt:

Who has influenced your writing as a memoirist?
The poet Maria Mazziotti Gillan. When I found Maria, I found a poet and a teacher who expertly and unapologetically writes about the deeply personal. When I first heard her read her work and took her workshops, I was stunned. She writes about the joy and shame of being alive, of being a human being. She shows the truth richly. Her poetry is imaginative and accessible, which really drew me in and gave me a model to follow. Mostly, though, she gave me permission.  

Maria Giura is the author of Celibate: A Memoir.





Maria Mazziotti Gillan's new poetry collection is When the Stars Were Still Visible (2021). Other recent publications are the poetry and photography collection, Paterson Light and Shadow and the poetry collections What Blooms in Winter and The Girls in the Chartreuse Jackets which pairs her poems with her paintings. Maria's artist's website is MariaMazziottiGillan.com and her poetry website is MariaGillan.com.

No comments: