March 12, 2021

Poem: Everything We Don’t Want Them to Know

This poem was featured today - Maria's birthday - on The Writer's Almanac.
Listen to Garrison Keillor read the poem.

Paisley Cape and Stars
by Maria Mazziottit Gillan



Everything We Don’t Want Them to Know

At eleven, my granddaughter looks like my daughter
did, that slender body, that thin face, the grace
with which she moves. When she visits, she sits
with my daughter; they have hot chocolate together
and talk. The way my granddaughter moves her hands,
the concentration with which she does everything,
knocks me back to the time when I sat with my daughter
at this table and we talked and I watched the grace
with which she moved her hands, the delicate way
she lifted the heavy hair back behind her ear.
My daughter is grown now, married
in a fairy-tale wedding, divorced, something inside
her broken, healing slowly. I look at my granddaughter
and I want to save her, as I was not able
to save my daughter. Nothing is that simple,
all our plans, carefully made, thrown into a cracked
pile by the way love betrays us.

by Maria Mazziotti Gillan
from What We Pass On: Collected Poems 1980 - 2009





Maria Mazziotti Gillan's most recent books are the poetry and photography collection, Paterson Light and Shadow and the poetry collection, What Blooms in Winter. Her collection of poems paired with some of her paintings is The Girls in the Chartreuse Jackets. Her artist's website is MariaMazziottiGillan.com and her poetry website is MariaGillan.com.

1 comment:

Doris White said...

Happy Birthday Maria. Your poetry and you inspire me always. Much love.