April 22, 2024

Maria Gillan: On Poetry, Art and Music


Maria's "Women Doing Lunch"

"I think poetry, art, and music are received differently in different places. Outside of the United States, there is a different kind of cultural admiration for poets and artists. There’s a desire to support the poet and artist. That is certainly true in Italy which I felt when I was reading my poem there, but I found it in other countries as well. There’s more of a sense that this is something really valuable. We are poets and there is a visual element to poetry, so the visual artists will come to the poetry readings. And very often poetry, art, and music are combined in a reading or show, which is quite wonderful and very open. I don’t find that quite so much in the United States.

Here, it is like the three are divided. There is a unity in them that I'd like to see more of. Let's have people exhibit art and also listen to poets or musicians. Linda Hillringhouse and I did a combined exhibit at the Art Center of Clifton last fall and we also read our poetry there surrounded by our paintings. I would like to see more of that."

see Maria's artwork at mariamazziottigillan.com



Maria Mazziotti Gillan's newest poetry collection is When the Stars Were Still Visible (2021). Other recent publications are the poetry and photography collection, Paterson Light and Shadowand the poetry collections What Blooms in Winter and The Girls in the Chartreuse Jackets, a pairing of her poems with her paintings.
Maria's artist website is MariaMazziottiGillan.com and her poetry website is MariaGillan.com.

No comments: