March 19, 2019

Maria Mazziotti Gillan, Artist


Maria Mazziotti Gillan is best known as a poet and teacher, but she is also an artist.

Her new artist website at MariaMazziottiGillan.com features some of her recent paintings.

As an artist, Maria says, "My art comes from an instinctive place. In my watercolors and collages I try to do what I do in poetry—that is to let go, to allow the old wise woman who lives in my belly to take over."

Woman with Floating Roses

"In my poetry, I try to root my work in the details and specificity of ordinary life, but in my art I am not attempting to achieve realistic portrayals of people, interiors, or birds or flowers. Rather, I am trying to capture energy and feeling. I am trying to allow the essence of the subject to come forth, to convey joy or sadness, exuberance or loss."

You can see some of Maria's paintings in person at the Highland Park Public Library (31 North Fifth Avenue, Highland Park, NJ). The art exhibit, Women Dressed in Dreams: Paintings and Collages by Maria Mazziotti Gillan, will be up throughout March 2019.

Maria's collection of poems along with some of her paintings is The Girls in the Chartreuse Jackets .

Maria's poetry website is MariaGillan.com.

No comments: